Today I signed up today for the 2 Oceans Trail run. That’s one run. 2 oceans. 22km.
I don’t naturally have the physique or stamina for long-distance running. But I’m nothing if not enthusiastic (well, sometimes), and since discovering that despite the non-stop pouring rain, the soaked feet, losing two toenails AND a set of headphones, I LOVED running the Paris 20km… I thought it was time for A NEW CHALLENGE.
With views like the above, it’s no surprise that I was drawn to this particular run. Somehow the Great North Run, just doesn’t have the same appeal.
So, today I managed 6km despite this morning’s rain. I then followed up with bit of Muay Thai pad work with the boys at the gym this evening.
Day 1 of training seems to have left me with a dodgy knee. Though I’m hoping that may have been caused by sitting on the floor wrapping christmas/chanukah presents in front of the fictional District 9 – complete with obvious references to the real District 6 which lies just below the route I’ll be running on 29 March 2013.
To keep me motivated and focused, I’m going to be using a combination of;
- app technology; Endomondo to track how far I run (and keep an eye on my speed),
- one friend here who I’ve managed to persuade to come with me (ok, I signed him up and then asked him after if he wanted to join)
- one friend over in CT who is training for an ultra marathon
- mind over matter. If I tell myself I don’t mind, it won’t matter
- the odd blog post to keep track of how I’m doing
- protein shakes
- and of course support from you guys
And I’ve said it before, and I’m sure I’ll say it again – but it’ll mainly be a combination of Belief, Practice and Community…
Any other suggestions on how to stay motivated most welcome.
And even better if you want to join me for a run.